Monday, November 08, 2010

Jones

Since the long disappearance act I pulled off with my blog, many things has happened. From good to bad. From bad to worse. And it gets better now and then.

It has been a almost a year now since Ive been with Jones the Grocer; an Australian grocery and restaurant. Working there has its ups and downs but of course, you never avoid problems. Starting off as a barista, I took a pay cut from my previous work place. In my mind at that time, it wast all about money. I wanted to learn new things, and feel whats it like in another environment.

I started my stint in FnB since I was 14. I still remember my first job, Delifrance. I love the service industry. Interactivity and productivity that is involved in it. I never see myself working in a place that is within 4 walls. I have to be on the move and always have my heart pumping. My lazy hours and time will definitely come in the day, but when it stretches too far, Ill get bored easily. That explains why, even after graduating from school, I decided not to carry on my career as a designer. Long story short, it just wasn't my passion.

Jones gave me a better look into the service industry in a better perspective. Reason number one being, it was a bigger picture. A bigger restaurant, bigger crowd which means, bigger problems to handle. It keeps my blood pumping and I loved the adrenaline rush. Working in the bar for my first 3 months, kept my going. But that was when politics did not exist yet. Honestly, its really something you cant avoid. Its always there in where ever workplace you go. So after having enough bullshit, I decided to take up the offer from my GM at the service side. There wasn't really much thinking needed. As I know, I can get a better prospect and growth in the service line. And of course, he gave me a better offer.

My three months probation as an Asst Operations Supervisor wasn't easy. Not many staff fancied the fact that I became supervisor out of nowhere. I had so many critics about me and staff pin pointing my mistakes. I took all that in and tried to improve. I just held on and told myself to not give up and also to prove all this people wrong. Then came my promotion. That was my relief period. But still not many liked that fact. But what can I say? I cant please everyone.

Now, it has been 10 months with Jones. There still is so much politics happening that it becomes ridiculous. My passion has dropped from 10 to 5. I'm the kind of person that tries to give as much effort as possible in what I do. I was a very streak Supervisor at one time. I didn't give any form of leniency. But staff hated me for that. So I toned down, try not to be to serious at times and not do so much. I made the mistake of not earning enough respect from my staff but instead jump right in. Now slowly, but surely, things are getting better on my side.

No comments: